No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
- 11001 Hammerly Blvd
- The Carruth Center at The Parish School
Within the framework of my sessions, I use many of the strategies and approaches from the Kaufman Speech to Language Program as well as the Sign to Talk Programs developed by Tamara Kasper and Nancy Kaufman. Therapy sessions are best described as capitalizing on the child's motivators and activities of daily living to allow for targets and productions to be meaningful and functional for the child. Session often include the parent or caregiver for guided practice of techniques with the family. Non-verbal or emergent level speakers are supported to gain Signs and/or Gestures to build successful modeling and imitation while striving towards the development of modeling and imitation of verbal approximations and productions. As the child gains automaticity at the syllable and simple word level, I work to rapidly move towards two word combinations, phrases and simple sentences. Then as these skills develop, I guide sessions to expand upon multisyllabic word productions and greater sentence structure varieties and lengths. Overall therapy should capitalize upon current levels of mastery to build the pride, motivation and confidence necessary to work through more challenging levels of productions. Parent education and participation are an essential component of therapy as continued practice and support within the home is a key factor in generalization of skill sets.
Due to a full caseload and busy household waiting for me as soon as I wrap up with work, I am not able to be as involved in the Apraxia community as I would like to be as a clinician who serves and supports so many with CAS. I have supported specific children and their teams in CAS Walks and fundraisers. I have welcomed my current families to share my information with others and offer a listening ear and to be a resource as outside families look for guidance on programming. Our clinic is fee for services, so I am frequently helping guide families on seeking support through insurance based or otherwise affordable programming/resources.
I see children in two settings: 1. the clinic and 2. as travel therapy taking place within an ABA facility. When therapy takes place at the clinic, I have 80% participation of a parent or caregiver within every session. The other 20% do not attend the session due to timing and family logistics (i.e. running to get other child from school and returning to pick up post speech). For the families who are not in the entire sessions, I work diligently to give feedback via end of session wrap ups and emails. I also frequently video tape sessions (with parent consent) and send videos for home viewing. Videos also help the other parent or caregivers have an opportunity to see therapy in action and gain the tools and strategies to scaffold speech productions. When parents are in the room their participation varies from observing to working side-by-side to support shaping and eliciting sounds. Parent participation varies upon the parent as well as the child.
When I see children at the ABA facility, their behavioral therapist remains in the room and often the case managers and program directors observe. This supports carryover into programming. These parents set times 1 - 2 times a month (or when able) to observe therapy sessions. The facility has rooms that allow families to watch via a closed circuit TV as to not interrupt the child's day. Then the clinician meets with the family to discuss the sessions and strategize on supporting goals within the home.
I've used PECS, ProLoQuo and formal AAC devices like the Vantage Light in sessions. Most often these tools are used to determine receptive identification and/or early avenues for requesting to determine areas to target in terms of Signing or Verbal Approximations. The AAC can be a wonderful tool to open the lines of communication and work on many language targets while still allowing for specific time to be spent working upon successive approximations. AACs can also be used as a tool for clarification in which I can help build the child's ability to 'hear themselves' and learn to make self repairs (for example, I heard you say "tee tee" did you want 'Cookie' or 'TV'? when cookie is chosen on the AAC, then the clinician can better shape the production towards the target which may be "tuh-tee")