We know that one of the most common issues our families face is a lack of knowledge about childhood apraxia of speech in the general public and even among many types of education and childcare providers. When people do not know what apraxia is, children are misjudged, mislabeled, and mistreated. We have come so far in making apraxia known, but we still have miles to go!
YOU can help Be the Voice for children and families struggling with apraxia by spreading awareness in your community today!
- Hold a fundraising event in your community
- Hold a “Wear Blue” day at school or work
- Share your story online using #ApraxiaAwareness
- Attend your local Walk for Apraxia!
- Share Apraxia Kids resources with your speech therapists
- Write a “letter to the editor” to your local paper about Apraxia Awareness Month. We’ve created a sample letter to the editor for you to adapt as you see fit.
- Additional information about Apraxia Kids is available on our website at the Media Room.
- Request of to 5 of our brand new brochures FOR FREE. Our new print materials explain what is Childhood Apraxia of Speech, how our programs help support children with apraxia and how teachers can give a special introduction to CAS to their students.
- 26 States proclaimed May 14th Apraxia Awareness Day in 2018. Check out the proclamations here!
- Distribute apraxia information in your community! Download our Apraxia Awareness Month post cards!
- Plan an awareness event or organized a community fundraiser! Be the Voice in your community. Please click here to register your event with us so we can support your event!
- When you celebrate Apraxia Awareness Month at your school, work, church, or community event, please encourage everyone to wear blue in support of children with apraxia of speech! Make sure to take photos to share on social media!
- Print out our coloring pages! Coloring Page One | Coloring Page Two | Coloring Page Three
- Visit our Pinterest boards to get ideas about how to raise awareness in May!
- Our online store is the ONLY place to shop online where the proceeds of your purchase benefit children with apraxia of speech. Raise awareness by showing off your Apraxia Kids swag. Make sure we can see and amplify your awareness efforts by using #apraxiaawareness #apraxiakids
Every child deserves a voice, and your stories help give a voice to families affected by childhood apraxia of speech. For this year’s Apraxia Awareness Month, we want to share your stories with the world. If you are an apraxia blogger, advocate, or just someone with a story to tell, we need you!
Please submit stories between 500-1000 words via email to email@example.com. You may include a photo of your child, and provide any information about yourself, your blog, or your website separately – please do not include links in your story. Selected stories will be posted on our website and featured on our social media during the month of May.