Apraxia Kids is the leading nonprofit whose mission is to strengthen the support systems in the lives of children with childhood apraxia of speech (CAS) so that each child is afforded their best opportunity to develop speech and communication. We believe every child deserves a voice.
Apraxia Kids was founded in Pittsburgh in 2000. It has evolved from an online discussion group into a unique, highly respected national 501(c)(3) public charity. Apraxia Kids provides a variety of programs and services including bringing awareness to our cause through our Walk for Apraxia events, providing continuing education for Speech Language Pathologists and funding critical apraxia research. Our organization has partnered with world-renowned, thought leaders in childhood apraxia of speech who provide guidance on program development, research grant awards, conference speakers, and advanced participant training.
The ability to communicate is perhaps the most human of all skills and helps form our identities. Speech also allows us to take our unique place in the world. Childhood apraxia of speech, one of the most severe of childhood speech disorders, makes it difficult or impossible for children to plan the movements of speech structures (i.e. lips, tongue, soft palate, jaw) that make intelligible speech possible. While there is still much to understand about the causes, children who receive appropriate, early and intensive therapy are usually able to become effective verbal communicators. Children who do not get proper therapy are at risk to never develop understandable speech.
Apraxia Kids helps children find their voice through education, research and support networks working to improve the systems of support in the lives of children with apraxia and their families.
Relying on our motto “every child DESERVES a voice,” we continue to work on improving the systems of support in the lives of children with apraxia and their families so that each child is afforded their best opportunity to develop speech and communication, reaching their full potential.
Apraxia Kids’ Goals
As the leading organization focusing on Childhood Apraxia of Speech, our goals are:
- To increase the understanding, awareness and support for children with CAS.
- To give every child a voice by ensuring they have the opportunity to develop speech and communication skills.
- To facilitate advocacy in local communities for improved services for children affected by the disorder.
- To provide training and educational opportunities for professionals and families.
- To create the largest network of CAS families, medical and speech-language pathologists, online support groups and research experts.
- To encourage and fund research in childhood apraxia of speech and sponsor scientific research meetings.