About this Event
On May 14, 2016, the Childhood Apraxia of Speech Association of North America (CASANA) invites communities worldwide to become aware and educated about the needs, challenges, and abilities of children affected by apraxia. Apraxia is among the most severe speech and communication problems in children. Children affected by apraxia of speech have difficulty planning and producing the precise, highly refined and specific series of movements of the tongue, lips, jaw, and palate that are necessary to produce clear, intelligible speech.
Suggestions for Observing May 14, 2016 – Apraxia Awareness Day
- States, counties, and cities often issue “proclamations” to designate May 14 as Apraxia Awareness Day (click here to read about proclamations and the process).
- Put Apraxia Awareness Day on online calendars of newspaper and news websites (use this website to find newspapers in your region)
- Submit the Apraxia Awareness Press Release to a local newspaper
- Write a “letter to the editor” of your local paper about Apraxia Awareness Day. We’ve created a sample letter to the editor for you to adapt as you see fit (see template online).
- Distribute Apraxia information in your community! You can find printed brochures, posters, and booklets in our online Apraxia store. Or download these apraxia awareness business cards or postcards and print them yourself!
- Have a community fundraiser and raise funds for our Apraxia programs and research!
- For other fantastic ideas big and small see photos from the 2015 Apraxia Awareness day and 2014 Apraxia Awareness Day!
Use your blog on May 14th to write about apraxia and Apraxia Awareness Day. Share something related to:
- How has your child with apraxia taught you important life lessons; or
- The special grit, “guts”, determination and resilience of kids with apraxia and your/their families.
Be sure to alert us to your blog so we can share in our social media channels!
GRAPHICS for SOCIAL MEDIA
Use Apraxia Awareness images for your Facebook or Twitter profile picture and your cover photo (see some below). Update your status frequently on May 14 and share information you feel is important for your friends to know and understand! We will be adding graphics to those below and have made them in a number of colors for you to use your favorite!(Please note: CASANA’s images may be used by individuals but may not be used for commercial or sales purposes.)