To the families and friends of children with CAS:
With a heavy heart, the Board of Directors of CASANA announces the resignation of Sharon Gretz as CASANA’s Executive Director. We are eternally thankful for her undying support and commitment.
CASANA evolved from a group of families and professionals who desired to positively impact the lives of children with apraxia of speech. However, it was Sharon’s vision, genius and passion which orchestrated CASANA’s birth and development. Sharon weaved together families, therapists, childhood professionals, and researchers, not just into a “net” to catch our children but into a trampoline to propel them toward their goals.
Under Sharon’s dynamic leadership, CASANA has grown into an acclaimed national organization improving the lives of children with apraxia and their families. For example in recent years, CASANA provided:
- Website and online educational resources to nearly 400,000 new users annually
- Online support group participation of over 25,000 members
- 25 – 30 annual educational programs providing training to several thousands of professional and parent participants
- Reseach funds for project that contribute significantly to the growing body of published, peer-reviewed apraxia research
- Financial support for several thousand speech therapy sessions annually through our partnership with Small Steps in Speech grants
- Support for over 80 annual Walk for Apraxia events and celebrations of children with apraxia across the US and Canada
The Board of Directors of CASANA takes seriously our responsibility to carry Sharon’s legacy forward. The Board has formed a transition committee, hired an executive search firm, NonProfit Talent, and employed an accomplished veteran interim Executive Director with expertise in transitions to facilitate a smooth adjustment. Though many find transitions scary, Sharon has lit the path for a productive and bright future for CASANA and our constituents.
We cannot begin to thank Sharon for her years of leadership and her willingness to continue to stand with CASANA as a friend and supporter to ensure every child has an opportunity to find their voice.
Mary Sturm MD
President of the Board of CASANA